Friday, July 31, 2009

A success

I am so pleased to say that the operation yesterday was a success. The surgeon is over the moon at the results (as am I) - at this stage it looks like I won't need glasses at all.

I landed up having to have a general anaesthetic as my eye was too long for him to get the needle behind it to do it with a local but that was OK - with the general there was less chance of me moving and therefore less chance of me making the surgeon make a mistake.

It has been a bit scratchy and achey today but I guess that is to be expected - he said that he hasn't put any stitches in it so I have to be really careful about not touching it at all - no bending forward, no heavy lifting, no sneezing and holding my nose (this one is going to be the hardest - it is just about impossible for me to sneeze and not hold my nose so now I am rubbing my nose every time I feel a sneeze coming on so that I don't have to 'open' sneeze !!!).

I spent a fair bit of yesterday afternoon sleeping and had another sleep this afternoon - made up for the bad sleep I had last night - it is so hard to only sleep on one side but was too difficult trying to sleep with the shield on the other side. I have to sleep with the shield for a week to protect against any involuntary rubbing, elbows to the eye, scratching etc - will see how that goes - definitely not looking forward to it although a small price to pay for the trade off of not having to wear glasses again !!!!

On that note, I am off to rest my eye - I don't want to make it feel worse if I don't have to.

Have a great weekend everyone and take care !

1 comment:

Anne said...

It's good to see you back and updating:-) Pleased the op was a success.