Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Finding the balance

Before we started our weight loss journey, we went to a local tavern to have ribs for dinner but, because we got there at about 7pm, by the time we came to order, they had run out of ribs and so we had to order something else which was extremely disappointing because we had gone there hanging out for ribs but then not able to have them. We started our diet the next day and after a couple of weeks Al wanted to know when we could go for ribs. I told him he could go at any time but until I had lost at least 12-14kgs, I wasn't even going to consider going there because I needed to stay focussed on my weight loss - which is a lot more than what he has to lose. While I hit the 13.8kg mark at the weekly weigh-in, I did lose more and hit the 14kg mark so said to A that he could book a table for ribs tonight. He did and we went and had them - and they were awesome ! I really enjoyed them - I could have eaten more than I did but I didn't because I had had enough and I would have just been eating for the sake of eating which is one of the reasons I put on the weight in the first place. Is this the first step to recognising a trigger that sets me on the slippery slope downward after I have lost my weight ? I am really happy that I realised when I had eaten enough and stopped.

I know at some point we are going to have to stop doing L&E, if only because the sameness of the meals after a period of time is enough to make you wander off to the vending machine rather than eat the healthy lunch that you have at work. With this in mind I have started to 'make up' my own lunch. The main difference ? There is always some fruit and my 'treat' for the day is only 80-100 cal instead of 700-800 cal - who would have thought that there were so many calories in biscuits - such innocent looking little things ?

When I started counting steps this time I set a goal of achieving over 10,000 steps 5 days out of 7 - this week I have had my two days off already - and it is only Tuesday !!!! But, that is OK - yesterday I had yoga and I had told myself that it would be a rest day after the full on day we had on Sunday. Today we went out to dinner and when we got home, A said "Let's go for a walk" - I could have gone with him but I stayed at home to watch Gray's Anatomy and Private Practice - they are my two favourite shows on TV and tonight I would rather watch them than exercise. Is that a bad thing ? I don't think so - I think this is about finding the balance between exercising and relaxation - yes, I could have exercised but I wanted to watch the shows, so I stayed at home while he took the two dog for a walk and the best part is, I don't feel guilty about it. I feel I have achieved the balance that I needed today - it may not be like this tomorrow, but for today, I have balanced what I want to do with what I need to do.

TFTD : People with goals succeed because they know where they are going.

No comments: